Making necessary repairs is important in the home selling process. It helps you avoid any issues come inspection. Furthermore, it simply makes sense to fix broken features before the sale. After all, you would not want to purchase a house that is not in proper working order.
Most importantly, repairs can help you increase the market value of your home. Here are the essential fixes that do so.
Give the curb appeal a boost
The exterior of your home matters. It is the face it will present to potential home buyers. Here are some of the things you can do in this area:
- Have a roof with a couple of missing tiles? Although it will not add to your property’s sales price, a new roof is an attractive feature worth the investment.
- Plant shrubs and flowers that thrive in the area.
- Paint the exterior walls, the front door, and fences, if applicable.
- Patch up cracks and holes.
- Change the doorknobs and locks.
Pay attention to the floor
Subject to constant shuffling, it would not be a surprise to find the floors of your home in a state of disrepair. Give it some tender love and care. In return, it will boost the value of your home and invite home buyers to make an offer.
Hardwood floors are exceptionally popular. If you already have these, have the floors refinished. Meanwhile, carpeted floors can bear stains and even funky smells. You have the option to replace the carpet and install wooden floors or have it extensively cleaned.
Broken tiles in the kitchen and the bathrooms must be replaced.
Improve the kitchen
Kitchen improvements promise a significant return on your investment. That said, you do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a remodeling project. Key upgrades and repairs are enough to do the trick.
- Do your cabinets look dated? A fresh coat of paint in a different color along with new hardware can liven the storage up.
- Replace the leaky faucet with a newer version with a pre-rinse option. If the sink is stained, consider replacing it with a brand new one.
- Outdated appliances such as stoves and refrigerators, though functional, can pose a serious hazard risk. Replace these items with new ones that also comply with energy efficiency standards. Home buyers like a green home.
Take care of the bathrooms
Bathroom improvements can also recoup 100 percent of the cost. More importantly, simple upgrades and fixes go a long way.
- If your bathrooms have carpeted flooring, remove them and replace broken or chipped tiles.
- Clean the grout.
- Remove hard water stains from the shower doors and glass fixtures, if applicable. In case the damage is too severe (for instance, there are lime deposits), have these replaced instead.
- Stained tubs are unattractive. If it cannot be cleaned, have it refinished.
- Painting the walls a lighter color is a good way to make any small space feel bigger. Find new lighting that complements the new color.
Are you looking for more ways to prep your home for sale? The Estabrooks Group has plenty of resources that can help. Browse the blog or connect with the team today.